Sunday, November 14, 2010

Family get away on the Alabama River










Just got back last weekend from River Oaks Landing....a Bed N' Breakfast on the Alabama River. Such a peaceful place and rich with history. I kept imagining all that had happened on this river alone. From Indians to the Civil War and hiding slaves to now being a place of quiet rest for many people along one of Alabama's most beautiful and scenic rivers.

We met my Papa Joe and his wonderful wife Jackie, and also my family there for the weekend. It was quick but very worth the trip to be able to see all of them. We enjoyed a country festival on Saturday in Orrville, Alabama....which is something I had never experienced before. It was true country! Homemade icecream, canned fruits and veggies, hand sewn and crocheted clothing, a petting zoo and hayrides. Iris got to ride behind a old Kabota tractor with my mom in a barrell- it was too cute and she loved it!












She also got to ride my grandpa's Harley Davidson- which I got to ride too! SOOO fun! They drove the bike all the way from Texas- 10 hours!!! I couldn't believe it! They were all decked out in their leather chaps and everything! Very cool.













Overall we had a wonderful time, and hope to go back next year!
Here are a few more snapshots from our time there!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Love the new layout Brooke, and all the cute pictures of Iris. I especially like the one of her reaching for the leaf...too sweet! Looks like you guys had a great trip! Happy Thanksgiving!

Brooke Gibson said...

Thanks Natalie! I love your blog as well! You do such a great job keeping up with everything EC does!!! She is growing up so very fast...